Wednesday, April 16, 2014

In Color

My companion stretched forth his hand against his comrade; *
       he has broken his covenant.
His speech is softer than butter, *
       but war is in his heart.
His words are smoother than oil, *
       but they are drawn swords.
Cast your burden upon the LORD, and he will sustain you; *
       he will never let the righteous stumble.
-Psalm 55:21-24


It's been a long day and I find myself weary before my usual hour.  The words of an acquaintance weigh heavy on my heart.  I know that they were not meant to sound hurtful, but I am in fragile state; in a particularly tender place.  I want nothing more than to complain to someone else and be justified.  I crave justification for my hurt.  But instead, I pull out my journal and my colored pencils and I draw and draw until this burden is out of my heart and onto the paper; an offering for my Lord.

Several months ago, a new friend invited me to come out drawing once a week. I resisted, telling myself that I'm not a fine artist and my time could be spent catching up on household chores.  Today I am grateful that I have said yes.  God put desire for drawing in my heart so that I have a way to communicate with God.  It doesn’t have to be perfect because it already is; a connection to the divine, in color.

- Ellyn Siftar

No comments:

Post a Comment