Friday, February 20, 2015

Create in us a new heart...

Create in us a new heart …
            St. Augustine of Hippo, North Africa (13 November 354 – 28 August 430) is, by the
reckoning of many, the greatest Christian theologian of the ancient period.
            We know more of his life than of other ancient Christian theologians, thanks to his autobiography, Confessions. This moving book, which has changed the direction of many people’s lives, tells us that young Augustine was a rapscallion. He freely admits it.
Augustine writes (Confessions, translated by F. J. Sheed, Kindle Edition):
Your law, O Lord, punishes theft; and this law is so written in the hearts of men. … Yet I chose to steal, and not because want drove me to it – unless a want of justice and contempt for it an excess of iniquity. For I stole things which I already had in plenty and of better quality. Nor had I any desire to enjoy the things I stole, but only the stealing of them and the sin. There was a pear tree near our vineyard, heavy with fruit, but fruit that was not particularly tempting either to look at or to taste. A group of young blackguards, and I among them, went out to knock down the pears and carry them off late one night, for it was our bad habit to carry on our games in the streets till very late. We carried off an immense load of pears, not to eat-for we barely tasted them before throwing them to the hogs. Our only pleasure in doing it was that it was forbidden. Such was my heart, O God, such was my heart…” Page 28
This is the most famous example of Augustine’s pranks, as he grew up in North Africa, in a town not far from the large city of Carthage. His mother, Monnica, was a Christian, but his father, who spent heavily to have Augustine trained in Carthage, was not. Augustine was brilliant in Latin rhetoric, and he was soon teaching it himself, in his late teens. He became enamored of Manicheanism, but dismissed it when he met a high ranking priest, and discovered his understanding was superficial. Throughout Augustine’s teens and twenties, he resisted his mother’s entreaties to become Christian. Monnica even travelled to Rome to be with her son as he took up teaching boys in the capital.
Augustine became a disciple of Bishop St. Ambrose, who was a governor for the civil bureaucracy in Milan as well as becoming a Christian leader. Augustine studied Platonic philosophy, in its later form, and became strongly influenced by it, just as most Christian theologians before him. But the illumination of the faith escaped him until he was 31 years of age.
At this point in his life, he was at a tipping point, being drawn to his mother’s faith, but, as he writes:
And You stood in the secret places of my soul, O Lord, in the harshness of Your mercy redoubling the scourges of fear and shame lest I should give way again and that small slight tie which remained should not be broken but should grow again to full strength and bind me closer than before. For I kept saying within myself, “Let it be now, let it be now,” and by the mere words I had begun to move towards the resolution, I almost made it, yet I did not quite make it….Those trifles of all trifles, and vanities of vanities, my one-time mistresses, held me back, plucking at my garment of flesh and murmuring softly: ‘Are you sending us away?’ Page 156.
Finally, in early middle age, in a garden in Milan, he heard what seemed like the sing-song voice of a boy saying “Take and read, take and read.” Augustine opened the Bible at random and his eyes fell on a passage from Paul’s letter to the Romans “Not in rioting and drunkenness, not in chambering and impurities, not in contention and envy, but put ye on the Lord Jesus Christ and make not provision for the flesh in its concupiscences. (Romans 13:13 – 14). Augustine describes his change of heart “I had no wish to read further, and no need. For in that instant, with the very ending of the sentence, it was as though a light of utter confidence shone in all my heart, and all the darkness of uncertainty vanished away.”
            Augustine was baptized shortly thereafter, to his mother’s great joy. Augustine became a bishop in North Africa and the leading theologian of the church. His Confessions became known as one long prayer to God. He summarizes the conversion of his heart with this:
Who shall grant me to rest in Thee? By whose gift shalt Thou enter into my heart and fill it so compellingly that I shall turn no more to my sins but embrace Thee, my only good? What art Thou to me? Have mercy, that I may tell. What rather am I to Thee, that Thou shouldst demand my love and if I do not love Thee be angry and threaten such great woes? Surely not to love Thee is already a great woe. For Thy mercies’ sake, O Lord my God, tell me what Thou art to me. Say unto my soul, I am Thy salvation. So speak that I may hear, Lord, my heart is listening; open it that it may hear Thee say to my soul I am Thy salvation. Hearing that word, let me come in haste to lay hold upon Thee. Hide not Thy face from me. Let me see Thy face even if I die, lest I die with longing to see it. The house of my soul is too small to receive Thee: let it be enlarged by Thee.
Let this be the evidence you need that the experience of the Lord, running deep and running large, will not fade from a heart so enlarged, and that the experience is so life changing that many things, once seemingly heavy, now appear light.

-- Bruce Marold 


No comments:

Post a Comment