Friday, March 14, 2014

Praying in the Interruptions


It has been one of those weeks. Things that absolutely, positively had to be done last Monday are still left undone on Friday afternoon. And even this reflection is 7 hours late. A good reminder about why we ask forgiveness in the confession for all those things left undone ....

The furnace has problems, the women's toilet doesn't work, someone is very ill, someone needs transport to the doctor, a schedule needs changing, a lawyer wants a check, the cook called off, a parishioner who moved away years ago is moving back and needs housing, and Morning and Evening Prayer are ready to be read. A blessing to have so many and so varied kinds of people (and jobs) in my days. But sometimes, Morning and Evening Prayer are the only islands of quiet that let me gather my wits (and spirit) enough to do the next thing.

In other words, a life just like all our lives. But in the 10-minute drive to the post office, or the 3-minute wait in line, the seconds before sleep claims me, or the silent waking at 4:00 a.m., God is there. Always ready for me to take a break and share some time of grace. Thank you for those holy distances between interruptions.

Psalm 139:2
You trace my journeys and my resting-places *
and are acquainted with all my ways.

No comments:

Post a Comment