Monday, March 2, 2015

Forgive me, for I have sinned...

The hardest part about asking for forgiveness, of God or of another, is having to first look directly at the ways that I have sinned.   Looking into the dark places of heart and soul is kind of like standing naked before the mirror in middle age; there are a lot of wrinkles and flaws and broken spots that are not necessarily easy on the eyes.  Perfection is far from what is there.   Hurts to others hurt to look at, and the grand gaping holes of all those things left undone threaten to swallow me up.  To confess to myself that I have sinned is hard.  To ask forgiveness of another, harder.  To ask of God, hardest of all.  But God already sees my true image and forgives.  Who am I to hide that sight from myself and others?


God, as I walk through Lent’s frozen desert,  give me clear sight and courage to view my sins face to face and to ask for and receive forgiveness.

- Kathleen Knaack

No comments:

Post a Comment