Thursday, March 19, 2015

My Pointer

Sitting in my nice warm car in New York City's Lower East Side, I'm finding it easy to make judgments and assumptions about the passersby: this one with her Starbucks and black lab; that one with his beard and pointy loafers.

Then I look into a cemetery and notice the wall around it. And the homeless man sitting, bundled at the corner, waiting for the iron gates to open.  His head is tilted down and away from me but I think he's asleep. 

In a world of excess, there are many who wander with no permanent home. Living on the fringes and subject the the whimsical generosity of strangers and the weather. Not just here but in my hometown too. 

I find myself wondering how so many can pass by, seemingly unseeing his poverty. I begin to feel anger and disappointment at humanity. Then I ask myself what I've done lately to ease the burden of someone who lacks what I often take for granted. 

Today I will be grateful for all the blessings of my life and for a faith community that both supports and challenges me. I will do something to help someone in need. And I will put my pointing, judging finger away. 

- Ellyn Siftar

No comments:

Post a Comment